Today’s show was an exciting one for me. Not only did I get to learn some cool stuff about teaching on Udemy but I got a chance to talk business with a good friend and former Mentor Shane Farrell from the IM Rebels. Shane is a list building and product creation expert. In fact I owe a lot of my success with creating and launching products to his mentoring.
On the last episode I talked about how I was able to create over 20 information products last year. Shane was a huge help in that process. There are a ton of nuggets dropped in this episode so make sure you listen to the whole thing!
What you will learn in this episode of the Authority Powered Show
- Why you should be using Udemy for your products
- How to use Udemy to build a customer list
- How to use Udemy with your own blog, email list, and YouTube to create a full circle marketing strategy
- How to optimize your courses for Udemy
- How to get your courses accepted onto Udemy and best practices
- How to come up with ideas for your Udemy courses
- How Shane and the IM Rebels have been able to build an amazing blog so fast
And a whole lot more. A lot was packed into this episode so be ready to take notes! Without further ado here’s the episode:
Why you should put your products on Udemy
Udemy is an amazing platform for anyone who is a subject matter expert. If you have something to teach Udemy is a great place to launch a course. Here are just some of the reasons you should consider it:
- Huge income potential – There are multiple Udemy instructors Making $1,000 a day and many in between
- Built in Traffic – Not only can you bring your own traffic but Udemy does a lot of advertising for your courses as well. To top it off affiliates can promote your courses as well.
- Create a course and it makes money every month – Unlike the typical product launch scene you create your product once and it continues to make money passively.
- Passive income – Nothing better than passive income!
How to use Udemy Coupon codes to jumpstart your courses success
A good way to get your courses traction is using the coupon codes within Udemy. Shane starts out by emailing his internal list with discount coupons to his courses. At the time of this interview he is creating 50 coupons at $6 for his internal list. By using coupons and promoting to an internal list you can increase your Udemy course ranking. Coupon codes are big deal for getting initial traffic and sales. Most purchases are done with coupons.
Another ninja trick the IM Rebels are using is adding their Udemy courses to their back-end sales funnel. Once they create a course they add a promotion email series to their email campaign that goes out to new subscribers. Over time new subscribers will be exposed to their Udemy courses.
As of right now the IM Rebels are driving 50% of the revenue from their courses and Udemy is driving the other half. Udemy does a lot of things on their end including retargeting, advertising, and handling affiliates which makes it a very passive way to create and launch products.
Building a customer base with Udemy
One of the cool perks with Udemy is that you get an internal list within the platform. For those that are just getting started this is a great opportunity to build a list of customers without having your own autoresponder. For more andvanced marketers that already have a great customer base this is a great way to expand your customer base.
Every Time you launch a new course on the platform you can mail to your internal list just like an email list. Each course you launch does better and better because your internal list is growing within Udemy. Currently Udemy allows you to send 2 promotional emails a month to promote your courses.
How To Use Udemy to build your internal list.
There are a lot of ways to siphon traffic off of Udemy. One of the easiest ways to do it is watermarking your videos. Another way to do it is with bonus lectures that include a PDF that links to your optin page. Finally in the resources section you can add in blog posts to get traffic back to your blog.
Shanes ninja trick: You can use retargeting pixels on the traffic sent to your blog to promote to that audience later down the road.
How big Udemy instructors are using a “full circle” business model to maximize success
The big instructors on Udemy are creating a real brand. They are creating what Shane calls the full circle where they not only focus on Udemy but they have their blogs, email lists, social channels, and products. By doing this you can send your own audience to your Udemy courses but at the same time maximize the earnings from the customers Udemy brings in for you.
One thing that Shane has noticed is that a lot of the instructors who hit the $1,000 a day point have around 20 courses. When you have multiple courses working for you the amount of revenue continues to go up passively.
Tips for getting your courses approved on Udemy
When you sign up you get a free instructor course so definitely make sure you take the time to go through it. Udemy gives you the ability to constantly update your courses so focus on getting the first one done. You can always improve it as you go.
The first course takes the longest as there is a pretty strict approval process the first time through. However, this is a good thing because it keeps the spammers off of the platform and makes it a great place for customers to go buy quality products.
Tips for creating the content
- Need decent audio and video
- Udemy courses are typically longer anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to 8 hours
- Videos between 2 and 10 minutes long
- Daily consistent action to get courses done
- At minimum try to do two videos a day
Focus on trying to create a new course every two weeks to a month. Then spend 1 week on promotion, and another week updating previous courses. The biggest thing is getting your first course out there. Putting your courses on Udemy really forces you to become a better product creator.
The real beauty of the platform is that two and three years from now the courses will continue to make sales opposed to the typical “product launch scene” where products are often launched and never seen again.
How to come up with ideas for Udemy courses
Here is Shane’s best advice for coming up with course ideas:
- Teach what you do
- Teach what you know
- Teach what you do in your day to day life
Very valuable advice for anyone looking to create their own products!
How to optimize and get interest in your Udemy course.
Sales copy is very different than typical sales copy along with the audience on Udemy. The copy is less focused on hype and trickery and more so on whats inside the course and what people are going to learn from the course. Another great thing about Udemy is people can actually go through and see the course outline.
Shane’s ninja tip: Reverse engineer the Udemy instructors that are already doing well to get a good idea how to create your course summary.
On Udemy the course summary is what you would consider the sales letter for your course. Tell people exactly whats in the course and make it exciting and sexy when possible. Also, tap into some of the pain points of not having your course and the results your audience will get from it. Focus on presenting yourself as the authority as well.
As you go through and create your course summary Udemy walks you through creating a good summary each step of the way. Very helpful when you are just getting started and want to create a good summary for your course.
The Udemy Customer base
Udemy has a great student base. People are going there to learn a specific skill and you’re not getting the typical “browsers” you see in other marketplaces. This makes for much better quality customers.
So that’s how you get started teaching on Udemy! A big shout out to Shane for coming on the show. Make sure you head over and visit the IM Rebels and Shane on their blog here.
Ready to take the next step? Want to work with me personally to build your blog? Join the Authority Powered Lab where you not only get the most complete Authority Blog Training out there but you also get exclusive access to my Blogging Mastermind where I’ll help you build your profitable blog!
Inside you will learn:
- How to build a profitable blog from scratch, with this step-by-step training you’ll save weeks and years trying to learn these techniques.
- My secret method for finding your target audience and the people that are hungry to buy your products. Master this and you will quickly build a profitable blog.
- A tried and tested way to create content like a pro. Even If you have never created your first piece of content you will know how to create content that your audience will love, get traffic, and profit from.
- The #1 way to make money from your blog and why most bloggers are making a HUGE mistake. Once you can do this, you’ll be well on your way to 6-figure income.
- The absolute best and proven techniques for generating loads of traffic to your blog in a short amount of time. Traffic is critical to your success as a blogger. I will show you the best and most effective ways to get it.
And a whole lot more! Click here to get access immediately!
William Fletcher The “Authority Blog Coach”
Are You A VIP Member? It’s FREE!
If you enjoyed this show on How to get started teaching on Udemy I would greatly appreciate a share!